Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Looking back...

I am home now. From a land of poverty to a land of plenty, from the starving to the overfed. What a contrast! Looking back over my pictures, I knew I had to post one more time about India. It is a special, unforgettable place.
We took a field trip with the younger grades of school to this Tibetan town. The first thing you see as you get near is this towering, gleaming, gold statute. This sign preceding your ascent up several flights of stairs to this idol reads, "This statute of the lord Shakyamuni Buddha has been most graciously consecrated by his holiness, the fourteenth Dalai Lama of Tibet." A visit to the slums. Girls as small as this precious one are forced into a life of thievery and "garbage-picking" just to survive.After thirty minutes of folding and tucking, I have a whole new appreciation for the women who wear sarees daily!
Our whole "family".

Rishikesh... along the holy Ganges river. The Taj Mahal. Quite impressive, but does not qualify for the most memorable moment in Agra. We had the opportunity to stay with a high caste Hindu family for the weekend. Their hospitality was phenomenal. However, the beds were infested with bed bugs and I left with hundreds of "souvenir" bed-bug bites. The India Gate. On the way home, I had a long lay over in Amsterdam and took the train into the city. It was the first time I have set foot in Europe and I was not dissapointed. It was just as I had imagined! Tall old buildings along the canals, bike propped up in quaint doorways, cafes on the corner... I love this shot of a woman entering her streetside apartment.
I am glad to be back, but will miss much about India. And from the bottom of my heart, thank you for all of your support.







5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, Liza~ you have a gift! We are SO THANKFUL you were able to join Amanda on this wild, wonderful, life-changing adventure! Blessings to you as you process the last 4 months and figure out how they fit into your future plans. We love you!
Aunt Jan and Uncle David

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Amanda Seibert said...

Thanks for posting the rest of those India pics! And the newest wedding photos are beatiful too!
Hope you are doing well. You are DEFINITELY MISSED HERE!!!!! Love you!
Amanda :-)

Jenni said...

Liza, it is great to see these photos. I made it back to the US this week and I am slowly adjusting. Mostly just eating everything in sight. I am digging through my bag to find your email address so if you beat me to it drop me a note with yours and Amandas emails.

I think someone should start planning a trip to the northwest. hint. hint. Seattle would welcome you.

Anonymous said...

great shots... Your feet touched European soil?? What???! ;)